You have said “Yes” to your Mr. Right, so the next logical step is to say “Yes to your dress!” The anticipation of finding your perfect wedding gown can be overwhelming. Luckily, there is no need to stress because our experts have 6 suggestions to keep in mind before your bridal dress shopping even begins…
- Call Ahead for an Appointment: Remember that most bridal salons work by appointment only and staff accordingly. Since purchasing your wedding gown is a once in a lifetime event, much thought should be put in to this appointment. Walk-in brides may find there are no fitting rooms open, no staff available and thus you will not get the attention you deserve. Our advice is to always call ahead to avoid any disappointment.
- Set a Budget: Before you even enter a Bridal Boutique, take time to determine how much you are comfortable spending on your gown. You do not want to waste the consultant’s time playing dress up and then fall in love with a dress out of your price range. Set a budget, communicate it and stick to it!
- Set your Date: The specific time of year your wedding will take place can dramatically influence the style of dresses and fabric options that are comfortable. Having a date set will ensure you select a gown that is season appropriate.
- Shop Early: We suggest shopping early in the day to avoid the emotional and physical fatigue associated with trying on gowns. Wedding dresses are rarely slipped on and off quickly and the process can be exhausting. Limit yourself to one appointment per day.
- Order your Dress Early: Once you have selected your gown, it typically takes 5 to 9 months for your dress to arrive directly from the manufacturer. Production time varies greatly by designer and season. Designer Gowns are not hanging on a rack in a warehouse, just waiting to be ordered… The dress factory often begins production of your gown after sufficient orders have been requested of a specific style. For this reason, ordering early ensures timely delivery.
- Plan for Alterations: Always plan on adding 10 to 12 weeks to your calendar to ensure a professional seamstress can have adequate time to alter your dress to fit perfectly. Fit is everything! Even the most minor of alterations can be time-consuming.
Congratulations again on your engagement! Enjoy this special time! Most bridal salons are very crowded on weekends, so appointments are at a premium. Only after you have a budget, date and place for your big day, should the actual dress shopping begin…
3807 West Elm Street, McHenry, IL 60050
All photos courtesy of Allure. Make your appointment now for the Allure Trunk Show taking place January 12-14!