You’ve said “Yes” to your Mr. Right, so the next logical step is to say “Yes” to your dress! The anticipation of finding the perfect wedding gown can be overwhelming. Luckily, our expert consultants have 6 suggestions for success to follow to ensure your shopping excursion ends in a smiling yes!
- Call Ahead for an Appointment: Remember that most bridal salons work by appointment only. Walk-in brides may find there are no fitting rooms open, staff may be unavailable and thus you will not get the attention you deserve. Our advice is to always call ahead to avoid any disappointment.
- Set a Budget: Before you even enter a Bridal Boutique, take time to determine how much you are comfortable spending on your gown. You do not want to waste the consultant’s time playing dress up and then fall in love with a gown out of your price range. Set a budget, communicate it and stick to it!
- Set your Date: The specific time of year your wedding will take place can dramatically influence the style of dresses and fabric options that are comfortable for the weather. Having a date set will ensure you select a gown that is season appropriate.
- Shop Early: We suggest shopping early in the day to avoid the emotional and physical fatigue associated with trying on gowns. Wedding dresses are often heavy, time-consuming to slip on and the process can be exhausting. Do not schedule more than one appointment per day. Gown shopping should be fun! Having fun is impossible when you are exhausted.
- Order your Dress Early: Once you have selected your gown, it typically takes 5 to 9 months for your dress to arrive directly from the manufacturer. Production time varies greatly by designer and season. Surprising to most brides is the fact that Designer Gowns are not hanging on a rack in a warehouse, just waiting to be ordered… The overseas dress factory often begins production of your dress after sufficient orders have been requested of a specific style.
- Plan for Alterations: Always plan on adding 10 to 12 weeks to your calendar to ensure a professional seamstress can have adequate time to alter your dress to fit perfectly. Fit is everything! Even the most minor of alterations can be time-consuming.
Congratulations again on your engagement! Enjoy this special time! Most bridal salons are very crowded on weekends, so appointments are at a premium. If your wedding is more than a year away, then relax. Only after you have a budget, date and place for your big day, should the actual dress shopping begin…
3807 West Elm Street, McHenry, IL 60050
See our exquisite collection: www.kathryns-bridal.com
photos courtesy of Kenneth Winston